Skip to content

Coral gingham Kimmy dress

May 28, 2018

Coral gingham Kimmy

Last night I put the finishing touches on my latest sewing project, the Seamwork Kimmy dress. It’s just the perfect thing for a family barbecue, picnic by the lake, or going for a lazy stroll downtown with an ice cream cone — basically all of my #summergoals!

Coral gingham Kimmy

It’s got the sweetest little shoulder ties, so you can make the sleeves as long or as short as you want. I’m not usually comfortable in sleeveless dresses, but I’ve actually found that cinching these drawstrings all the way up is my favorite way to wear it.

Coral gingham Kimmy

You may not be able to tell from these first few photos, but I made quite a few modifications from the original pattern. It all started with this fabric, which I bought from Mood (with a gift certificate generously provided by Seamwork as part of the Seamwork Ambassador program). I fell in love with this crinkly gingham gauze as soon as I saw it online, but it ended up being so much more sheer in person than I imagined from the description & photos on the website. (Lesson learned — order a swatch first!) Anyway, I still really wanted to make a Kimmy with this fabric, so I bought some Robert Kaufman Cambridge lawn in ivory for a lining.

Seamwork Kimmy

Y’all, the only experiences I’d had with lining were the bodices of my daughter’s Geranium dresses, and this dress is constructed in an entirely different manner. I spent a whole damn month thinking about how I was going to approach this. After reading the instructions (lol, why didn’t I just do that at the outset?), I realized that lining the bodice of the Kimmy is SO DANG EASY! In the original pattern, the armholes and neckline of the bodice pieces are faced with bias tape before seaming them together. For ease (and honestly because I’m lazy, YOLO), I eliminated the center seams of the front & back bodice pieces and just cut everything on the fold. I think the center seams in the original pattern are there so that you don’t have to miter the bias tape at the v-neck, but that wasn’t an issue with a full lining. The original pattern calls for 1/2″ single-fold bias tape, so I used a 1/4″ seam allowance when attaching my lining.

Seamwork Kimmy

I sewed a continuous line around the armhole, shoulder, neckline (pivoting and back-stitching a few times at the V), other shoulder, and other armhole. The original pattern calls for finishing the shoulder seam allowances after seaming, but it made more sense to enclose them in the lining.

Seamwork Kimmy

I attached the skirt lining to the main fabric by sewing them together at a 3/8″ seam allowance. I attached the bodice to the skirt as written in the pattern, but I closed the elastic casing (leaving a 2″ opening) before inserting the elastic. To make a nicer finish on the inside, I trimmed the SA of the main bodice, main skirt, and skirt lining, then folded & pressed the bodice lining under by 1/4″ before stitching down the elastic casing, so that all of the raw edges were nicely enclosed. I didn’t pay much attention to how long the elastic was when I bought it at JoAnn’s, so my waistband has about 8″ more negative ease than the pattern calls for. It’s perfectly comfortable, and I like how much it gathers in the waist.

Seamwork Kimmy

Finally, I hemmed the main skirt as written in the pattern, and hemmed the skirt lining to be about 3/4″ shorter. I used this tutorial from Itch to Stitch to make hand crochet chain French tacks to tether the lining to the skirt.

Coral gingham Kimmy

I also made a couple of other pretty straightforward mods: raised the back neckline to a curve (instead of the original v-back), eliminated the pockets (because I really wasn’t sure how to do that with the lining), and sized down on the bodice. And that’s it! I probably made a million mistakes, and this gauze fabric wasn’t the easiest to work with, but I love how it turned out!

***If you’re interested in joining Seamwork, you can sign up with my referral link and get your first month for $3! You can also buy the patterns without joining, but 3 bucks is a pretty sweet deal, and there are tons of other benefits (access to the newest patterns! bonus modifications! FABRIC STORE DISCOUNTS!!).***

4 Comments leave one →
  1. June 20, 2018 8:28 pm

    This is super cute! I like that you did the front piece on the fold. I’m going to make it with plaid and I was wondering how to get it to match, but with your suggestion that is no longer a problem. I’m glad I found your blog through following Seamwork on FB.

    • whitney marie permalink*
      June 21, 2018 1:19 pm

      Aww, thanks Lisa! 🙂

  2. Heather Stewart permalink
    June 21, 2018 1:17 pm

    I love that fabric! Great post and well done adapting the pattern for lining. What a great summer dress and it’s lovely on you. I may yet have to make this one…Do you remember how much fabric yours took? I only have 2m of the double gauze I want to use…

    • whitney marie permalink*
      June 21, 2018 1:21 pm

      Thanks! I bought 4 yards of the fabric but have at least a yard leftover. 2m might not be quite enough (although that obviously depends on the size you’re making).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: