Skip to content

Summer of Basics

August 2, 2017

Mango Sorbetto

Back in May, we made a bucket list of things we wanted to do this summer. It was mostly family stuff, but I added a personal goal of sewing something. I really wanted to join in with Karen Templer’s #summerofbasics challenge, but I knew I’d never be able to finish 3 makes in 3 months if they were all knitted. Even with sewing 2 of the 3, I wasn’t sure I’d be able to finish in time. But here we are, August 2nd, and I’ve already completed my 3 pieces and have plans for 2 more!

Ishnana

The first item I completed was the Ishnana cardigan, by Ysolda Teague. I’ve had my eye on this one for a while. The back reminds me of Aureus, but with proportions that I find more flattering on my body. When I found out that Ysolda used the same short row sleeve cap shaping technique that I loved so much on my Primrose cardigan, that was enough to bump Ishnana straight to the top of my queue. I used Knit Picks Stroll in Dove Heather — my wardrobe had been sorely lacking a good gray cardigan for far too long, and I didn’t want to wear an expensive, non-washable yarn while chasing around a baby.

Ishnana and Dress no. 1

Next up was Dress No. 1, from 100 Acts of Sewing/Sonya Philip. I used two fabrics from the SS Bluebird collection by Cotton + Steel (Bouquet in Blue for the dress, Shibori in Sky Blue for the pockets and facings), purchased at Sarah’s Fabrics here in Lawrence. I was pretty confident going into the seams and hem, but so intimidated by the bias facing and pockets. The dress languished, half-finished, for a few weeks because I was scared I was going to mess the whole thing up when attaching the bias tape. It ended up being a lot easier than I thought it would be! I’m so proud of this dress. I’ve already worn it 3 times!

Dress no. 1

Last but not least, I made version 3 of the Sorbetto top, by Colette. I used Robert Kaufman Cambridge Lawn in Mango, purchased from Hawthorne Threads, and trimmed it with Liberty of London bias tape in Elysian W, from Jones & Vandermeer. This was my first time sewing a pleat, bust darts, and sleeves. I think I did pretty well on the pleat and bust darts, but setting in the sleeves was hard! I probably should’ve ripped out a few spots and resewn them, because there are some puckers, but overall I’m really happy with how this top turned out.

Mango Sorbetto

I just bought fabric for another Dress No. 1 and a Seamwork Mojave. Both will incorporate a little more Liberty into my life! 😉

Dress no. 1

Advertisements
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: